Drinking Made Easy is back with a brand new season of travel and drinking. To kick things off we start in Houston, the largest city in Texas and fourth largest in the United States. Zane Lamprey and Steve McKenna will visit Texas’ oldest craft brewery, Saint Arnold Brewing Company, and check out some great mixology, dive, and party bars. The boys also get down and dirty with some pig scramblin’ and attempt a world record for the fastest firken race. Air Date – October 3rd 8PM.
WHERE WE WENT
- Saint Arnold Brewing Company: As Texas’ oldest craft brewery, Saint Arnold makes world class beers and is a great example of true craft brewing. Their small crew is involved with all matters of the brewing process from brewing, filtering, and kegging to selling, distributing, and even drinking. They brew fourteen different brews with each one having a bit of “Soul” to them. Their passion for brewing beer definitely comes through with their great brews. 2000 Lyons Ave, Houston, TX 77020 – Facebook – Twitter -
- Leon’s Lounge: This mixology bar offers some one-of-a-kind cocktails with some great food, great service, and a cool vibe. It is a chill spot and offers an extensive cocktail selection, not to mention their friendly staff and bartenders. 1006 McGowen St, Houston, TX 77002 – Facebook – Twitter -
- Pub Fiction: With a Chicago vibe and some craft cocktails, Pub Fiction creates a fun atmosphere that combines the best parts of your local tavern with an entertaining urban chic environment. 2303 Smith St. Suite 100 Houston, TX 77006 – Facebook – Twitter -
- Under the Volcano: Named after the novel by Michael Laurie, Under the Volcano is a Mexican style bar themed after the Day of the Dead Celebration. They offer some great margaritas in both cocktail form and blended. 2349 Bissonnet St, Houston, TX 77005 – Facebook – Twitter -
- Shot Bar: This bar is true to its name with over 120 shots on the menu. Built on the premis that no party is complete without a round of shots, Shot Bar can definitely get the party started Can’t decide on what shot to have? Spin the shot wheel and get a round. Fun environment and some very NICE bartenders (see below). 2315 Bagby St Houston, TX 77006 - Facebook – Twitter
- Petrol Station: This craft beer bar is fun, friendly, and welcomed Drinking Made Easy with open-arms. For our segment there, they invited their friends to help us attempt a world record for the fastest firken race, clearing a half-keg in just over 4 minutes. Fun people, good beer. 985 Wakefield Dr, Houston, TX 77018 – Facebook – Twitter -
WHAT WE DRANK
Malted Fizz Recipe
Rocket Booster Recipe
Strawberry Basil Margarita Recipe
Nutty Rock Star Recipe
Jack the Ripper Recipe
The Dodo Bird Recipe
Red Monkey Recipe
Pig Scramblin: the boys compete in a pig catching contest. They throw on some overalls and get a little muddy. First one to catch themselves a pig is the winner!
Be sure to pick who you think will win. Loser has to drink!
Gear from the Show
Like what Zane and Steve are wearing? Want to get some of the Pleepleus gear from the show? Check out the Pleepleus Store to get that awesome gear.
- A “flagship beer” is a beer that defines the qualities with which a brewer wishes to be associated
- The first lawnmower was developed in 1827 in England
- St. Arnold is officially the patron saint of hops growers and Belgian brewers
- St. Arnold is honored in Brussels with a parade on a day known as “Day of the Beer”
- Until 1972, you could not legally buy mixed drinks anywhere in Texas
- Malta has a wheat and molasses taste, and is often mixed with milk
- The proteins in egg whites stretch out when whipped, making foam
- Mission Control Manages aerospace flights from liftoff to landing
- Steve does not believe that we actually landed on the moon
- Tito Beveridge, of Tito’s vodka, is fun to drink with
- Rocket boosters propel a space shuttle for its first 2 minutes of flight
- A space shuttle rocket booster weighs approximately 1,300,000 pounds
- Rocket boosters provide 83% of the lift off thrust for a space shuttle
- “Pig Scrambling” is commonly played at state fairs or livestock shows by children
- Pigs are smarter than dogs
- Pigs have no sweat glands, and rely on dirt and mud to cool down
- Strawberries are not classified as true berries, as their seeds appear on the outside of the fruit.
- Day of the Dead, on November 1st, is a day of remembrance for lost friends and family
- The world’s first frozen margarita machine was built in 1971 in Dallas, Texas
- Brain freeze is the result of rapid cooling and rewarming of capillaries in the sinuses
- The Dodo Bird was a large, flightless bird that became extinct in the early 17th century
- The term “firkin” is an old English unit of volume as a 1/4 barrel or 1/2 keg
- Other goods that used to be sold by the “firkin” are butter and soap
THANK YOU SIR, MAY I PLEASE HAVE SOME MORE?
Want to learn more about Houston? Check out this site.