For a 6 million year old island that’s home to one of the rainiest areas in the world and thousands of wild chickens, Kauai is anything but chaotic. Hawaii’s most green island is adorned with tourists and locals looking for the best ways to wind down and there’s no better place on the island to listen to the rainfall, then under the roof of one of the many local bars, pubs or watering holes. In this episode, Zane dives into the Pacific for some reef snorkeling, learns about the aphrodisiac benefits of honey mead, and mixes up some classic Hawaiian cocktails with some of Kauai’s best bartenders.
WHERE WE WENT
- Merriman’s Fish House Set in an Old Hawaiian Plantation, they were one of the pioneers in the “farm to table” concept and serve only the freshest products, at least 90% which are grown or caught locally. Beautiful mountain and ocean views. Premium bar upstairs, casual dining downstairs and a wine cellar with more than 1000 bottles of wine.
2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka Street #G-149, Kōloa, Kauai, HI 96756 | (808) 742-8385
- Keoki’s Paradise Traditional Polynesian atmosphere, it was styled to resemble a dockside boathouse, and includes a lagoon, lush foliage and a thatched roof. Featuring nightly live music and a daily happy hour from 3-5pm, it’s a great place for a classical Kauai night out.
2360 Kiahuna Plantation Drive, Kōloa, Kauai, HI 96756 | (808) 742-7534
- Brennecke’s Beach Broiler Conveniently located across from Poipu Beach Park, it features open-air dining with amazing ocean views. Boasts a tropically-inspired cocktail list (and “mocktails” for the little ones), as well as daily happy hours and drink specials. Amazing sunset views.
2100 Hoone Road, Poipu Beach, Kōloa, Kauai HI 96756 | (808) 742-7588
- Stevenson’s Library at The Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort Features an assortment of great cocktails in a relaxing setting. Reminiscent of a Victorian-era gentlemen’s club, this book-lined room boasts an extensive selection of Cognac and Port and live nightly entertainment.
1571 Poipu Road, Kōloa, Kauai, HI, USA 96756 | (808) 742-1234
- 22˚ North at the Kilohana Plantation In addition to the Kōloa Rum Tasting Room, you’ll also find 22 North, a bar and restaurant that subscribes to the “farm to table” philosophy and serves fresh cocktails, on the grounds of the Plantation.
3-2087 Kaumualii Highway Lihue, Kauai HI 96766 | (808) 245-5608
- Nani Moon Meadery Specializing in dry meads, and made using honey, fruit and spices. It’s bottled and sold on site at their meadery and tasting room in Kapa’a.
4-939 D Kuhio Highway, Kapa’a, Kauai, HI 96746 | (808) 651-2453
WHAT WE DRANK
Garden Isle Ginger Press Recipe
Blue Hawaiian Recipe
The Original Brown Nipple with Banana Recipe
Lychee Martini Recipe
Nilo and Zane’s Blue Basil Mojito Recipes
Aphrodisiac Elixir Recipe
Mad Hatter Recipe
WHAT WE FEATURED
- Kōloa Rum The only licensed distillery on Kauai, Kōloa Rum is handcrafted from the finest sugarcane and twice distilled in single batches. Their five different rums include a white rum, a dark rum, gold rum and spice rum.
- Nani Moon Meadery The only producer of tropical honey wines in the state of Hawaii. Flavors include Cacao Moon, Pineapple Guava Sunset, Winter Sun, Laka’s Nectar and Ginger Spice.
THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Want to learn more about planning your drinking adventure in Kaua’i? Check out this site.