Located on the southernmost tip of the continental United States, Key West is the heart and soul of the Florida Keys. Its Caribbean vibe, year round sunshine, laid back lifestyle and Bahamian and Cuban influences help make Key West what is today: a great place for a tropical liquor-inspired vacation. At only 4 miles long and 2 miles wide, it was made for pub-crawling. From its proximity to some of the best rums in the world, to its lax open container laws and the abundance of bars and restaurants on the world famous Duval Street, Key West couldn’t be an easier place to drink.
WHERE WE WENT
- Schooner Wharf Bar This “last little piece of Old Key West” is an island institution that was originally located on the Schooner Diamonte (an actual boat). Features nightly live music, beautiful views of the classic yachts of Key West’s Historic Seaport and has been voted Best Locals Bar six years in a row.
202 William Street, Key West, FL 33040 | (305) 292-3302
- Sloppy Joe’s Located on the historic Duval Street since 1937, it was a regular haunt of legendary American author, Ernest Hemingway, who also gave the bar its name. Opens at 9am every day and features live music daily and impressive list of specialty signature cocktails.
201 Duval Street, Key West, FL 33040 | (305) 294-5717
- Pepe’s Café Established in 1909, it’s known as the oldest eating house in the Florida Keys. Open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it’s recognized for its delicious Key Lime Pie. Canine friendly. Hosts Oyster Races every Monday and Friday at 4:30pm.
806 Caroline St, Key West, FL 33040 | (305) 294-7192
- Island Dogs Bar Cool and laid back island vibe, it’s off the beaten path in the heart of Key West’s historic Old Town. Home to cold beer, tropical cocktails, unique martini’s, exotic hot dogs and local live music. Flip flops and tank tops encouraged.
505 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040 | (305) 509-7136
- The Green Parrot Bar Self-proclaimed dive bar that is a Key West institution and well worth a visit. Since 1890 has been a Keys landmark. Today it is a great place to find cheap drinks and colorful locals.
601 Whitehead Street, Key West, FL 33040 | (305) 294-6133
- Rum Barrel With almost 200 different rums from all over the world, their “Rum Bible” boasts the best selection of rum anywhere in the universe. Rum flights range in price from the $34 Smooth Landings Flight to the $100 Millionaire’s Flight. Great food, live music, local beer and a tropically-inspired cocktail menu.
528 Front Street, Key West, FL 33040 | (305) 292-7862
WHAT WE DRANK
Dark ‘N’ Stormy Recipe
Schooner Breeze Recipe
Sloppy Joe’s Papa Doble Recipe
Sloppy Rita Recipe
Key Lime Pie Martini Recipe
Island Dog Mojito Recipe
Rootbeer Barrel Recipe
Green Parrot Bloody Mary Recipe
The Kill Devil Recipe
WHAT WE FEATURED
- Key West Sunset Ale Made by the Florida Beer Company, which is located in Melbourne, Florida, Sunset Ale is an American Amber Ale. They also produce a Key West Pilsner Light and a Southernmost Wheat that uses Key Limes.
- Conch Republic Spirits Made in Florida, but not actually produced in Key West, it’s named for the area and made in the spirit of the Conch Republic. They produce a spiced rum, light rum, dark rum and “key rum”, or light brown rum.
- Butte, Montana
- Power and Light District in Kansas City, Missouri
- Las Vegas Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Savannah Historic District of Downtown Savannah, Georgia
- Fredericksburg, Texas
Technically it is illegal to drink on the streets in the Key West but they are usually pretty lenient as long as you have your drink in a plastic cup.
THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Want to learn more about planning your drinking adventure in Key West? Check out this site.