Watermelons are a staple in summer drinking. From slices as a garnish to a simple bottle infusion this largest of the fruits is a versatile as it is refreshing. The watermelon keg is an easy way to spice up that barbecue so here are some simple instructions for your drinking pleasure. The drink choice is to your taste but we recommend something on the fruitier side.
1 large seedless watermelon (square if you can find it)
- Rinse the watermelon with cold water and dry.
- Place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/2” from both ends, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. One side will provide a sturdy base. Skip this step for the square watermelons.
- Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon, reserving the watermelon pieces to make your favorite punch or juice. Be sure to leave about 2” of watermelon flesh towards the bottom of the watermelon so the spigot can be placed.
- Use an apple corer to punch a hole for your spigot to fit through about 3 inches above the bottom of the watermelon. Screw your spigot into place.
- Place the watermelon on a plate and fill with your drink recipe.
Here are some ideas for recipes:
Lime and ginger ale and gin.
Simple syrup, melon liqueur, lemon juice and vodka.
Rum, fresh lime, and fresh mint.
Tequila, triple sec and lime juice.
Sugar, lemon juice and champagne.
Now grab a glass pour a drink and enjoy the fruits of your labor.