Think you know you’re Oktoberfest. Try these important facts on for size while enjoying those Bavarian brews.
- The traditional festival is 16 days long but an extra day was added when the Berlin wall fell.
- Oktoberfest officially starts with the lord mayor of Munich tapping the first keg of Oktoberfest beer.
- At the festival, Fingahackln is played where two men hook their middle fingers and try to pull the opponent over the table.
- A large tuft of animal hair called a Gamsbart is usually attached to those green hats and is a sign of manliness.
- The first Oktoberfest was when King Ludwig I was married to Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen on October 12,1810.
- The category for Oktoberfest beer has strict rules the beer must be brewed within the Munich city limits and have an alcohol content of 6%.
- In 2010 visitors drank 7,100,000 liters of beer.
- Bavaria, a giant iron statue in a greek godess style, was constructed to watch over Oktoberfest.
- Oktoberfest is the home of the largest portable roller coaster in the world.
- Especially drunk patrons are often called “Bierleichen” (German for “beer corpses”).
Can’t make it to Munich? Well how about Chicago? Zane Lamprey is hosting his 4th annual Oktoberfest party on September 29th!