When I hear the word Jameson, I think of the emerald isle, Conan O’brien and Darby O’Gill and the little people. The only Irish drink that brings up more thoughts of the land of red hair and corned beef is Guinness, but Jameson is definitely a close second.
Jameson is an Irish whiskey made from malted barley that is combined with unmalted barely. It is distilled in a “Pure Pot Still” and the makers of this magical spirit are extremely proud to continue the same distilling methods that were used when John Jameson founded the Bow Street Distillery back in 1780.
It might surprise you, but Jameson was actually Scottish born. He was born on October 5th, 1740 (darn, my birthday is October 6th). He was a lawyer before he started the distillery when he was forty years old. He had distilling in is blood, though. He was related to a famous distilling family, the Steins, in Dublin. Jameson is one of the original six main Dublin whiskeys, even though it is distilled in Cork now. It is the best selling Irish whiskey in the World with over 30 million bottle sold per year.
Jameson has made an impact in the World of television advertising in the last few years. Many are based on legends or mythological creatures and Jameson’s ability to always find a way to save his tasty beverage. There is a great commercial where Jameson outsmarts the Hawk of Achill. This is based on a famous Gaelic legend about a feared, giant hawk that is said to be one of the oldest creatures in the world and has the ability to remember everything that has ever happened in history.
In another, a barrel of Jameson fell off of a boat and Jameson dove into the briny depths to retrieve it, only to encounter a giant octopus. Everyone believed that he had died until he emerged from the ocean, with the barrel in tow, to crash his own funeral.
Sine Metu, the Jameson family motto, means “without fear”. You may not believe it, but the motto was awarded to the Jameson family because of their unflinching bravery in fighting pirates in the 1500s. Jameson used this credo as his inspiration for making the move to Dublin to begin distilling. You can find these words on every bottle of Jameson.
As well as Jameson Original, the Jameson Reserves include:
- Jameson 12 Year Old Special Reserve (Formerly known as Jameson 1780)
- Jameson 12 Year Old Distillery Reserve exclusive to the Old Jameson Distillery inSmithfield,Dublinand the Jameson Single Distillery at Midleton, inCork.
- Jameson Gold Reserve (the only expression of Jameson that uses virgin American oak).
- Jameson 18 Year Old Limited Reserve
- Jameson Rarest Vintage Reserve (Jameson’s oldest and rarest whiskey components).
- Jameson Signature Reserve (exclusive to Travel Retail & Duty Free outlets around the world).
- Jameson Select Reserve Black Barrel (available in limited quantities in theUS; known as “Small Batch” outside the US).