National Tequila Day is July 24th. If you’re like me, you probably didn’t even know such a day existed. In fact, whatever day of the year it is, someone probably invented a strange holiday that is celebrated on that day. I just looked up the holidays this week and there are some doozies. National Hot Dog Day, National Nude Day, Be a dork Day and National Lollipop day are just a few of the wacky holidays this week.
Some holidays are unnecessary. But, as a fine beverages writer, I believe that National tequila day is. I would have guessed that National Tequila Day would fall on the same day as Cinco De Mayo. But, I guess this delicious spirit deserves its own day. Plus, mid-July is probably the best time of year to imbibe tequila.
Here’s a helpful a list of ways to celebrate National Tequila Day:
- Since the Olympics start this weekend, have a tequila themed Olympics party. The folks at Chevys Fresh Mex have some ideas to spice up your party include a flaming tequila torch (be very careful and don’t handle if you’ve had a few shots), bobbing for limes in a tub of margarita mix and a tequila worm break dancing contest. Instead of the usual beer pong, go with margarita pong and have yourself a jazzy limbo contest while trying not to spill your margarita. You can also make it a theme party if you want. Just find all of your hilariously stereotypical sombreros, fake mustaches and giant, sombrero shaped dip bowls and cheer on your favorite Olympians.
- Have a make your own margarita party. Get different kinds of mixes, salts, limes and funky margarita cups and have people over to make their own. You can sample everyone’s concoction and pick a winner. Buy a funny and or ironic prize to award to the winner.
- Have a tequila blind taste test with your friends. Buy five or so different brands of tequila and have your guests either rank them in order of best to worse or make it into a game where they try to guess which is which. Make sure that you have a palate cleanser in between samples. Staying true to the theme, chips and salsa would probably make sense.
- Have a contest similar to the margarita contest where you and your friends try to make the best mixed drink using their favorite tequila. Have your guests bring their favorite tequila. Buy a bunch of different mixers like soda, tonic water, energy drinks, lime juice, lemonade, limeade, hot sauce, grenadine and simple syrup. Similar to the Margarita contest, give an award to the person with the best tasting cocktail.
- Order some authentic Mexican food, sit in a sunny place and sip some chilled tequila.
Chevys 1800 Watermelon Margarita Recipe (courtesy of Chevys Fresh Mex)
- Ingredients: 1 1/4 oz. 1800 Silver Tequila, 3/4 oz. Agavero Orange, 1 oz. Sweet & Sour, 2 oz. Fresh Watermelon Puree
- Build: Fill a shaker glass half way with cubed ice. Add all ingredients as listed. Hand shake vigorously 5 times. Pour entire contents into a 12 oz. old fashion glass. Garnish with a watermelon sugar rim and lime wheel, then serve cold!
Editor for Chilled Magazine